Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Violence in the cinema

Many people complain about violence in films and on television. Honestly, I don't see much violence being called because I am extremely selective in what I view. I had a discussion with a friend the other day about this topic. Reminded me that I had written an article some time ago and it has tracked down.


Is a true story, which happened in December 1994. With hindsight, this feels more like an experiment planned a happening spontaneously.


I attended three films within a period of seven days. Where I lived in Santa Monica at the time, I had the luxury of being within walking distance of the five films that shows a total of 22 films simultaneously. Most are hot out of the study. (I live in Santa Monica, but a little further away from these theatres).


The first film was "Legends of the Fall," which everyone can admit is violent. As I got to that one is a mystery, because I stayed is more of a mystery. Maybe it was so I could have this experience and tell it.


The second film was "the jungle book," which actually parents take children to see! I found it horribly distorted and violent.


The third was "IQ," a film that I found delightful. Wa that! Walter Matthau is one of my favorite actors of all time. No violence. Probably not many people would say "depth," to which I shrug my shoulders without comment. I went to the movies to be entertained and it was. I have a great depth in my daily work.


So now you know the movie experience. As blood and gore flashed across the screen in "Legends of the Fall", I looked at times and closed my eyes. About three-quarters of the way in the end, advertising that usually appear early began to play. The audience exploded!


Screaming and stomping feet were the norm. In particular a man seemed crazy. He screamed obscenities and could not say more than three words before repeating his favorite word, "f___ ing".


I have never been in a riot, but it felt to me as if one had to happen. I've posted a lot of love and light for the projectionist and the public. Soon the right reel was playing. Oops, no sound. More boos from the audience. Then the sound of the film came in. More whistles to rewind and start again the new coil. Finally, the finished film, although I have no memory.


Some days later, I was out for the second film in a theater .... "Jungle Book", a classic, regarded as a film for children. The audience that day included little boys and girls, accompanied by adults. The children were quite frightened. This was a tense, though, fear not a hilarious one.


Three-quarters of the way through, the film broke. The audience exploded with shouts and screams. The theatre was no longer as crowded as the previous film, or answers no doubt would be multiplied. Soon the film returned to the screen for the final.


Some days later, I attended "IQ" in a third theatre. This is a romantic comedy that require ingenuity of Albert Einstein with broad smiles and hees tee for the public.


Are you ready for this? Three-quarters of the way through, the film broke. Not a sound came from the audience. All sitting quietly, waiting for repair or whatever else was needed. Soon as this happened, and the film played to the end without stopping.


Want something in me that at the end of this article with a statement that sums up the whole experience deep and concise. But something stronger in me just wants to stand on its own--you make of it what you want. Is a true story.


No comments:

Post a Comment